Mae - Kalskag, Alaska

This I Believe: Works in Progress

We are all works in progress, regardless of age and educational background. Even if you’re wise and full of knowledge at the age of 75, there are still lots to learn. You may be perfected in areas or subjects and hold a doctorate degree, but you still learn something valuable everyday. There are lessons to be learned and ‘new’ things that you hadn’t heard of in your time.

Young and old, new and used, everything is a work in progress. My high school career is nearing to an end; yet, there’s so much to learn. I’ll be going off to college soon – God knows how tough it’ll be. I’ll always have God to turn to. He will always be there to help me and guide me, but it is I who must try my best when I’m learning about life and myself. Only I can make it happen; I’m the one who has to choose whether or not my work is a success or a failure.

From preschool to high school we learn lessons that’ll help us in our future, lessons that’ll guide us and give us insight on life. Through my years of schooling, I’ve learned one important thing: be yourself. When you are yourself, you’ll learn more about yourself. Trying to be someone else or trying to fit in with others isn’t the factor, but that’s what makes us works in progress; it helps us to understand who we really are and what we work up to be, not how others want us to act.

Through my 17 years of life I’ve learned many lessons, most of which were learned through trial and error. I’m still learning about who I am and what I think is best for me. I’m trying to become a better person; not only for myself, but also for the ones I love. I’m thankful for my improvement on my personality and attitude. As the saying goes, attitude is everything.

When I was younger, my attitude was all about being right. If I was wrong I’d get upset, I hated being wrong. I would become stubborn when someone made a suggestion. A few years ago were when I decided that I didn’t want to be a person with a nasty attitude. I changed my ways and started accepting the suggestions. That’s how I learned to change, to become a better person. I realized that I can’t always be right but I can only learn and improve on the things that were wrong.

Today, I’m working to improve myself. I’m an unfinished project. I’m working up to becoming a better student that I already am because I know that the lessons I learn now will help me in my future; only I can make that happen. I want to change my ways of doing things; I want to learn more about who I am. In more than one way, I’m a work in progress, and this I believe.