Abigail - Marietta, Georgia

Some days, I feel like I could kill my sister. My younger sister Monica and I are only two years apart, but we are so different. We often argue about stupid things or are competitive with each other. There are times when I get so mad or annoyed with Monica that I feel like pulling my hair out. However, I cannot imagine living my life without her.

A couple of years ago, Monica and I were sitting in the food court of Perimeter mall. We were taking a break from Christmas shopping when I noticed two women slowly walking towards us. Wearing loose, mismatched clothes and the same thick, round glasses, they almost looked like twins. But as they got closer, I could see a difference between them. One was blind, and she was clutching the other woman’s arm. They wove through the crowd together, stepping in perfect rhythm. As they approached the table next to us, one of the ladies asked me, “Is anyone sitting here?” I said no, and she proceeded to help the other woman into a seat. By this point, Monica and I had already started “talking” with our eyes about the unusual people next to us. After a minute or two, we continued our normal chatter. A little while later, as we were about to leave the table, I felt a tap on my shoulder. The blind lady had turned towards me, and she whispered confidently, “You two must be sisters.”

Surprised, I replied, “Yeah, we are! How did you know?”

A smile spread across her face, and she said, “I could just tell. You know, we’re sisters, too.” She continued: “Just like the old saying, we are ‘sisters by birth, best friends by choice.’”

I believe that sisters share an unbreakable bond that is unlike any other relationship. A sister can be a shopping buddy, a personal stylist, a partner in crime, and a therapist. Nothing in the world is strong enough to break this bond, because sisters will always love and forgive one another.

Sisters share a similar childhood. They grow up with the same rules, the same embarrassing parents, or the same annoying brother. Monica is the one person who I know will support and understand me no matter what. My sister and I reveal secrets and share advice. We laugh about funny memories together, and we know everything about each other. I know that, just like the sisters at the mall, we will always be best friends.