John - Dalton, Georgia

I believe in Strawberry Delight

Every family has there holiday traditions, my family believes in food. I have always been amazed at the size of my family, each of my parents have over five siblings. Since I can remember size has never been an issue – plenty of leftovers.

The most interesting part to me has been the food. All of my aunts and uncles can cook and bring a dish. The men normally bring the meat, and the ladies bring the fixings. My mother has always been in charge of the deserts.

My mother is an amazing lady. She has two kids of her own and around one hundred plus kids a semester – she’s a teacher. She is currently pursuing her doctorate degree in education as well. She never complains nor does she let her job affect her home life. She’s a trooper. It never fails that the calls start to ring in the week before a family gathering. “What are you cooking?” “Did you make that carrot cake?” “What about that cranberry salad?” And my favorite, “did you make the STRAWBERRY DELIGHT?”

Strawberry delight is an immaculate dish of fresh strawberries, angel food cake – wait I can’t give out the recipe. The dish is the highlight of my meal. When I was a child I used to fix me desert first and then my food, because I was afraid that the strawberry delight would be gone. Some of my family only ate the food to get to the strawberry delight.

The desert was first introduced by my great grandmother to her family, then from my grandmother to my mother, and now it’s my mother’s turn. She makes it religiously. I often tell her over the phone before I head back home, that it wouldn’t feel like the holidays without that strawberry delight. I can hear her smile as she says, I love you too, son. Now that it is a more liberated time, all of my cousins and I know how to make the desert. I often find myself making the dish as a comfort food.

Anytime I need the comfort of home, I think of all those good times and strawberry delight. To me, families are built upon tradition and maintained by those who continue them. I believe that strawberry delight is my family’s tradition and a part of who we are as the Carter Family.