Wilson - Charlottesville, Virginia

I believe in the power of music. Music has the power to inspire and compel. Music has the power bring people together, no matter how different they are. It can be expressed in any way. As long as there have been people on this earth there has been music. From the first time a caveman beat on a wall to today’s rock, hip hop, or punk. Music has changed and branched out from the beginning and will continue to do so.

My family recently had a family reunion, partly to get together and partly to celebrate my Grandmother’s eightieth birthday. My Grandmother had asked a few months earlier if my band would play at the reunion. My band is a grunge band that consists of me and three friends. I told her I wasn’t sure that the music would be liked by the, well to say the least older crowd. She said that they would mind. So, after a couple of weeks of extra long practices, learning some Rolling Stones and Beatles songs, we drove up to Richmond.

I got there first and started to set up all the equipment. The other members arrived soon after, and after they met what seemed to be the crazy family of mine we started to play. At first everyone just sat and listened. I assumed that they were just listening to be kind. But the farther we got into the set the more they got into it. By our second to last song “Your Monster” they’d really gotten into it. They were up dancing, laughing and having a good time. From the eighty year old church going ladies to the middle aged crazy people down to the twenty-five year old country folk. They were all up and dancing to music they would never have listened to. After that song there was a huge applause and whooping.

Before we had a chance to play our last song one of the crazy (and drunk) middle aged people asked us if we knew “Satisfaction” by the Rolling Stones, which we did. The drums were taken up by a middle aged bald man and the vocals by the other crazy (and drunk) middle aged man. After putting on quite an amusing show, dancing like Mick Jagger and everything, the crowd cheered and couldn’t stop laughing. After that we recovered our positions and played our last song. At the end of which we sped through an unplanned finale. That was the end with a loud applause and cheer we were, quite happily, done.

We got many comments thanking us for playing and saying that we were good. Most importantly the power of music brought everyone together. All different age and kind of people, who would never listen to our music, had a good time together because of the power of music. The day after one of the people raved that “that solo thing at the end was crazy, it was so…it was just awesome.” The power of music can work on anyone.