Lauren - Papillion, Nebraska

Family Ties

Loving, crying, talking, laughing, sharing, caring, grieving, believing. All those words describe one thing: family. And they are just some of reasons I believe so strongly that family can help you through anything.

I have never believed in family more than one fateful day three years ago when my cousin was killed in a car accident. Jacob was only 20 years old. He had his life before him, but everything was taken away that day.

My family was in shock, but those most greatly affected were his mother, father, brothers and sister. We all gathered at their farmhouse in Oakland, Nebraska to support and help each other through this very difficult time. We talked and laughed about good memories of Jacob. And we cried and grieved when we thought about the present. But just the fact that we were all together made the experience ever so slightly less painful.

I have never experienced anything in my life more difficult or more moving than seeing my family come together to lay Jacob to rest. We were never closer than on that day. And even though it was for reasons we would rather have not been together, it showed me what family is all about.

I believe that family is about being there for each other through thick and thin. It’s about loving each other and caring for each. Your family should always be a support system for you to fall back on in your time of need. I know that my family is this support system for me, and I love knowing that they will always be there for me.

That August day three years ago showed me the power of family when they come together. It showed me that family always sticks by you, that they are that support system you can fall back on, and that no matter what they will love you forever. Jacob’s death cemented my belief that family can get you through anything.