Chad - North Little Rock, Arkansas

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe in heavy metal music and my right to be in a heavy metal band. As an American I have the right to self expression without persecution. But to me it’s not just a right, it’s a responsibility to express myself be it with my vote, an outlandish hair cut, the ink I’ve tattooed under my skin, or the music and lyrics of protest I write. Whether I voice my opinion about church or state, local, or foreign policy as Americans, we have to speak out to let the world and our own government know what we think for or against. I believe in original thought, not following mass market, pop culture, conservative TV news or liberal radio. I want to be myself, think for myself, and speak out about what I feel. When I found out my youngest son was born with Spina Bifida and would never be able to walk, I wanted to scream and heavy metal gives me that. Now that he’s on a ventilator with a tracheotomy and in and out of the hospital several times a year without a guarantee that he’ll ever really fully recover I can respect that. But this nation’s health care is not what it could or should be. I don’t have a lot of money, I can’t afford my own DC lobbyist, and I can’t influence politicians or heads of state beyond my vote. Our own doctors won’t listen to what we say because of lack of time and funds, so when I found out the Federal Government was going to cut Medicaid funds, SSI, and wouldn’t even pay for Stem Cell Research to possibly help find a cure to so many diseases and afflictions that affect thousands of us, I wrote songs. I love this country but when we started a war that led to foreign occupation without UN consent, as a citizen of a democracy I felt betrayed. I thought we were better than that and so the lyrics started to flow. Then when it came time to deal with my little brother’s deployment to Iraq heavy metal was there for me. When everything from God to Government has let me down, the music has always been there. Call it free speech, self expression, you call it what you want, but I believe in HEAVY METAL.