Whittney - Portsmouth, Ohio

I believe that God has many faces. In recent years I have met and befriended people of almost every religion and/or creed. I’ve known people who have no faith and people who have enough faith to take care of all of us. I was a raised a Christian, yet have never really identified myself as such. Still, I would say that true Christianity is a beautiful concept. I would also say the same for most religions I have encountered. Religion is often times contorted and construed into what one wishes it to be, but as a rule of thumb, I believe they all have the same core.

In my mind, I would rather not picture a supreme being watching over our planet and judging our actions. It must be more than that. Whether one sees Yahweh, Allah or the tree that grows outside their window when they think of god doesn’t matter to me and never will. It is important to have a kind heart and spirit, and if one needs a guide for doing so, there are plenty to follow.

I have chosen to take a route that seems to make a lot of people feel uncomfortable. I have chosen to take what I believe is beautiful and good from every dogma, and every experience I encounter and use it to fulfill my own life and bring kindness to others along the way. There is so much to learn in this world and I want to know all that I can. I’m on this earth for presumably less than one hundred years. I plan to stimulate my senses with the knowledge of one hundred lives. This knowledge consists of love, pain, and everything in between. Maybe life is just the beginning. Maybe it is the end, and maybe it is in the midst of a continuous cycle. I’ll take any of these. I only hope that my soul rests at some point, after all of this, a breather would be nice.

Sometimes I think maybe I am just an optimist in denial and sometimes I have this vision of being destined for an afterlife of eternal damnation. Today I think everything will be OK and I feel good about my life and where it’s headed. This I believe.