Brandon - Versailles, Kentucky
Themes: death

I believe I heard my mother that morning. The morning of November 17, 2004 is a morning I’ll never forget.

It started like any other day. I woke up, wondering what the day would bring. I had a meeting with my advisor to schedule classes, so I had to wake up early. As I sat up out of bed, a terrible thought entered my mind. I couldn’t help but think about my mother being taken to the hospital by an ambulance. I didn’t know why I was thinking of this. Nothing like it had ever happened before. I felt ashamed to be thinking like that of my mom. However, I couldn’t shake the awful thought. My early morning thought was then interrupted.

The telephone then started to ring. I was nervous as I went across the room to the phone. I worriedly picked up the phone. It was my dad. He wasted no time in telling me what had just happened. He had told me that my mother had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Out of shock, I uttered the words, “Seriously?” Unfortunately, this was no joke. My dad said the only word I didn’t want to hear; “Yes” I immediately asked what happened and if she was okay. He said he didn’t know much. He just knew she had to be taken to the hospital. I wondered if I needed to go home, but he said to stay for now, and he’ll call me when he knows more. I said bye and hung up the phone. The rest of the early morning felt like it was in slow motion. I just got ready for the meeting with my advisor, and hoped I would hear from my dad soon. As I walked across campus, I had remembered my thought before the phone call. I soon started to question why I thought this, or why it happened this same morning at the same time.

While waiting for my advisor to finish with another student, my cell phone rang. I quickly drew it out of my pocket and answered it. It was my dad again. He immediately told me my mom was in critical condition at the hospital, and I needed to come home. As politely and quickly as I could, I entered my advisor’s office, and told her I had a family emergency and had to leave. I hurriedly headed back across campus to my car. I left campus and headed straight to the hospital. The hospital was an hour and a half away, but seemed much longer. When I arrived, my entire family was there. They told me a blood clot had traveled from her leg to her lungs, and blocked her airway.

The next three days seemed like a week. After three days of no improvement, we had to make the hardest decision we would ever make. We had decided it would be better if we take her off life support and let her go.