Kate - Bridgton, Maine
Themes: forgiveness

As I sit here and reflect about the past nineteen years of my life, I realize that there have always been good times and bad times. Looking back on the bad times, they remind me of a depression where it took something like a war to regain economic structure and the outcome always sort of reset the structure of that country. The aftermath of the war is how I view the good times in my life. Throughout a persons life, people will always let them down, but it is how those people react to the downfall that gets them to the next point in their life.

I believe in forgiveness. Forgiveness is key in every human being’s life. The ability to allow oneself to get hurt by another individual, only to overcome that hurt and have the power to forgive is the most prideful act anyone can perform. Some of the best things I have done in my life have been the ability to forgive friends as well as family members.

I am nineteen years old, and have just began to overcome the largest, most difficult hurdle that has been thrown at me my entire life; my parent’s divorce. In the beginning, they became strangers to me, people who had been erased from my entire life. It made me upset to see them, it made me upset when they sat at opposite ends of the gym during my games, I just wanted them to disappear. My biggest fear in life is change, and they were unnecessarily forcing change on a life that seemed perfectly average and one that I was content with. I read a quote not too long after the divorce that said: “It takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it.” This quote summed up exactly how I felt. I felt betrayed by the only people in my life that I was sure I would never lose faith in. They lost all of my trust in matter of seconds and I had no idea, nor any intention on how to allow them to build it back up.

It has now been almost two years, and only now are our relationships beginning to get back to where they were. Only now am I accepting things for how they are, and realizing that things happen sometimes that we have no control over. I have begun to forgive my parents, and that forgiveness has begun to lift a heavy weight off of my shoulders. I am happy now that my parents and I get along and I realize that what they did was in the best interest of everyone involved. Major changes have occurred but now I am a better person, by learning how to take the bad in with the good, and live each day knowing that everything will work out how it is supposed to. I would not have learned how to think this way if it had not been for this event in my life. I look at this situation and how I am dealing with it now as the aftermath to my war. I believe in forgiveness because without it, the rebuilding and acceptance of the new relationships with my parents, would not have been possible.