Grant - Olive Hill, Kentucky
Themes: golden rule

What I Believe

I believe that things happen for a reason. Throughout my life I can say that I have always had a pretty good amount of success at everything that I have been involved in. In football I made the 16th region all-area team and all ekc conference twice, in basketball I was all ekc player twice, however I always seemed to be just good but not the best and always seem to fall victim to small town politics. This has seemed to be an ongoing process throughout my life, seeming to always end up with the short end of the stick.

More recently the one place I thought that being second best couldn’t happen did. My band that I formed, Slightly-N-Toxicated, decided to kick me out and replace me with a guy that didn’t even know, just because they thought he was better than me. The real kicker in this situation is that these guys were supposed to be my best friends, which this didn’t seem like a very friend-like thing to do. It was done with little class, behind my back while I was out doing work for school one night. This experience taught me a lot about life, and how to accept the good along with the bad. For about a month after this happened, I was probably one of the most resentful and isolated people that you could have met. Feelings were immense ranging from betrayal, hatred, anger, sadness, they were all over the place, and I didn’t know how to let them go.

More recently, I have let go of many of those feelings, and moved past them somewhat to slowly mend the bridge that has been broken between my friends and me. I understand that sometimes the ball just doesn’t roll your way, and although you can try and prevent bad things from happening, sometimes you just can’t escape it. It is still a strange vibe when I am around my friends, and the relationship between us may never be the same, but sometimes things happen for a reason, and maybe all these times that I thought that I was second best, it may just be a way to prepare for the time when I’m on top, this way I don’t let success go to my head. Perhaps the saying is true, you go through the bad to get to the good.