Kimberly - Vancleve, Kentucky

Success is up to each individual.

Within every person is the ability to succeed, perhaps not in the way culture sees success but in our own ways within our own lives. Not everyone will become a movie star, a rock legend, or gain political standings but at the same time not everyone wants to. I see success as happiness and a fulfillment within my own life and though that sounds simplistic it is not easy to attain.

At times the world seems filled with obstacles and it becomes easy to give up on hopes that seem to lofty. As a student and a writer my personal endeavors have to take the back seat to assignments and it becomes easy to loose interest in the ideas that come my way. When money becomes tight it is easy to feel like everything is pointless beyond paying the bills but inside I know I can succeed as long as I am willing to keep going.

I have felt that reading is a dying entertainment and have worried that there will be no place for a new author among the already great writers. I have wondered if there are any new ideas or if everything has already been explored and if perhaps my ideas would seem like echoes of someone else’s work. Yet inside I know there is still a place for my voice and minds to take what I create and enjoy it.

I have had pull myself out of doubt and realize that if I never become published is not what I should worry about because my true fear should be letting my mind go to waste. The stories I write and the poems I create may never bring me fame but in truth that is not the reason I write them. If I take the time to write then it may touch someone and fearing failure is no reason to give up.

Within every person there is a struggle to sit back and let what fulfils them slip away or to take those extra moments and efforts to try. When we give up we have to live with lingering regrets whereas if we try then even if we fail we have succeeded in a small way. I think that small way is more important than the culturally successful way.