Joshua - Winchester, Kentucky

I believe in the human spirit. I do not believe in organized religion. Why you might ask? To put it simply I do not believe in one religion being right and the rest being wrong. In organized religion, that is what they teach you. For example if you are a Christian, you are shouting from the top of your lungs how you are correct in your beliefs and everyone else is going to hell for not believing the same way as you. Why are you so correct and everyone else is not? Every religion believes that they are equally in the right.

What I believe is that whatever you need to get through your daily life is fine with me, as long as it is not hurting other people. I do not believe a Buddhist is any more right or wrong than a Christian, or Atheist is any more right or wrong than a Muslim.

Too many times the argument becomes that other religions besides Christianity cause wars and violence. In the world we live in today Muslims are blamed for most of the violence in the world. But if you turn the tables you can see throughout history that Christians have been the source of mass murder and war. Any religion that waves the flag of their beliefs to justify killing is in the wrong.

All religions have the same basic principal, looking to a higher source to get you through life. Whether it is that you pray to the Virgin Mary, Buddha, or the Spaghetti Monster, it doesn’t matter. Religion should be a personal private feeling. My favorite band, 311, summed up this whole topic fairly well in their song It Seems Uncertain….

It seems uncertain

I wish it was forgone

To know the version

That made life go wrong

Wish I had a clue

What rearranged our molecules

Mostly wondering

It seems uncertain

In times of trouble

Everyone joins a team

No one waves a flag

For all human beings

No one’s excited

Unless they are divided

Someone’s going to have to give in

It seems uncertain

I’d like to be

One of the faithful millions

But what I see

Is an excuse for the killing

Your denomination

Should be a private thing

How about a spirit

For all human beings

How could something well guided

Turn out to be divisive

Mostly wondering

It seems uncertain