Jon - Iola, Wisconsin

When I was in seventh grade I made the biggest mistake of my life. I stole a car. I believe that people deserve a second chance at life. I wasn’t a straight A student not even close, I never applied myself fully even though my parents told me I was smart. To this day I wish I could go back and change what happened that day in February 2003. Another part of me says that if I wouldn’t have done that, wouldn’t have stolen that car, I wouldn’t have experienced what would happen.

It all happened after school on a Tuesday afternoon. I was going to do some weightlifting in the Fitness Center. When I got there, I didn’t want to go weightlifting so I went to the local IGA. As I walked there I told myself that I wish that I didn’t have to walk home in the cold. As I got to the parking lot of the IGA I noticed something “dinging”. I walked over to investigate and I noticed a car door open.

My mind was doing back flips over the situation. I just kept on going into the store to get the things I needed. When I got back, the door was still open. When I got to the car the second time I noticed the keys in the ignition. I didn’t know what I was thinking but I opened the door and jumped in the drivers seat. Before I knew it, I turned the key and started the car. It all happened like I was a robot because the next thing I knew I was pulling out of the parking lot.

When I was driving around town, I felt natural, and at ease. I began to worry about where I would put the car so that I wouldn’t be caught. I parked the car in a cul-de-sac and walked the half block to my house.

The next day after school I returned to the car and drove around again. Later that night as I lay in bed I thought to myself that I was a horrible person and that I should just tell my dad what I did.

The next morning I still considered telling my dad, but I didn’t. In Social Studies I got called down to the office. The only person there was Officer Hansen. He talked to me for two hours or more before I finally told him what I did. Later that day I faced my dad for the first time, as we sat in his truck talking. He told me that no matter what I did he would always love me.

That happened in seventh grade and now I am a sophomore, I am very thankful to the wonderful people that decided to not press charges against me and I promise them that I will not let you down. Making a mistake is one thing, but learning from it is another.