Brandon - Independence, Missouri
Themes: sports

I believe that kids and parents should take the time to go hunting or fishing, just to experience the great outdoors. I believe this to be true becase of my own experiences. I have been hunting with my dad for several years noe. We go deer, turkey and pheasant hunting with dogs, friends and family.

My first time hunting was incredible, it changed everything in my life at home, at school, and other places that I interact with other people. Hunting made everything better and happier. I believe this because when I went hunting for the first time and we had to wake up early around 4:00 AM in the morning. After loading up our gear we had to hike for several miles when it was still dark out. Once we sat down and waited, we waited form almost two hours. When it got light out and the sun started to come up, I could see across the grassy field in front of me. It was like I was in my own little world. So we waited and then I soptted this nice buck, it was a ten pointer and I wanted to shoot it at the moment. But my dad said no, just wait, something better might come along. The all of a sudden, this monster buck jumped the fence right by where we were sitting and the deer went out into the field to graze. I asked my dad if I could shoot it, but he said wait. But, I know that I had the shot so I pulled the trigger and the deer ran a little further and then he fell to the ground. We went to find him, following the blood trail. After a few minutes my dad and I skinned the deer and took the meat to a processor.

Most people when they here my story think that I am being mean by killing a wild animal, but hunting is not mean. We hunt with licenses given out by the state to help thin the herddown so other deer have enough to eat through the winter. I hunt ecause it is in my blood and is a great family tradition. I believe in this and think others should try hunting and go out and experience it for themselves because when you grasp the feeling it’s like you cannot control it. It becomes an immediate part of uou and I think that if people get the chance to do these things that I have experienced like fishing, hunting and other outdoor activities it will change their life like it changed mine.