Edward - Hollywood, Florida

Soul Food makes life worth living. A life without Soul Food is a life not worth living. This is what I believe. It’s 8 o’clock in morning on Christmas Eve and the smell of cakes and pies baking awakens me. As I rise out of bed and enter the kitchen, my grandmother meets me at the door with a hug, kiss, and a nice hot bowl of oatmeal, made her special way just for me. It is tradition in my family that all the grandkids who are still living at home sleep at grandma’s house the day before Christmas eve, so that grandma can make her once a year oatmeal while the parents wrap gifts and do some last minute shopping. I’m old enough now to stay home but its tradition so I go.

The menu is set months in advance. The wonderful Soul Food is on its way to grandma’s house. The fried Chicken is superb, the collard greens are cooked right, and the macaroni and cheese is perfectly golden. Soul Food has been around my family since before I could remember. It is food for the mind, body, and soul. There just something about soul food that just makes me want it every day. Typically we have Soul Food every Sunday at grandma’s house, but sometimes the oxtails can be a little expensive, so we have to settle for a couple of buckets of chicken from Kentucky Fried Chicken. My grandfather is the patriarch in my family. He is the one who sample everything that is cooked at the house and he’ll always find a reason to add his special ingredient to the pots. He cooked back in the day for his five kids and all the other neighborhood kids that stopped by; that is why he has a sign on his door that says’ “Come one, come all, it’s Soul Food time in this house.” Now he doesn’t cook anymore he just observes and add his two cents.

Soul Food keep my family together, it brings up around the dinner table, and brings out the best in all of us. Many stories were told at the table. Some good, some bad, and some just down right embarrassing. I believe that Soul Food keep families together all around the country, it sure does work for my family. Bad days are bad no more when Soul food is involved Good days are even better when you know that there will be Soul Food at dinner time. This is why I believe that Soul Food makes life worth living.