Andrew - Marietta, Georgia

I live in a fairly large city where tension levels can run pretty high. Probably the most common feeling that people feel, beginning in their teenage years, is pain. Pain can be caused by many things. Mainly it is caused by stress.

Teenagers and middle-aged adults are often faced with stress. This range of ages is responsible for many tasks. Teenagers are responsible for their schoolwork and minor jobs that they may have outside of school. Adults are responsible for keeping a steady job and income. Also, many people are responsible for their families.

I first learned to stay stress-free one day when I was at the doctor’s office, where my mom was a doctor. I arrived to the office that day and I heard her speaking to someone. Quietly, I crept up to listen in and I heard something that has stuck with me to this day. The thought was a basic concept, yet it had a huge impact.

I did not fully understand how significant this was until I approached it personally.

My team was finally in our first playoff game. We had worked hard all season to get to this level. Just before we were about to go onto the rink, we received a phone call from one of the parents. Once we all were gathered together, we stood in shock while our coach told us that our best player had broken his leg and would not be able to play with us. Soon after, a huge commotion broke loose, and no one knew what to do.

At that moment, I realized what my mom had been saying that one day. Frantically, I gathered my teammate’s attention and tried to reiterate what I heard my mom say those many weeks before.

“Guys,” I said, “we have worked so hard to get to this point. We shouldn’t give it all up just because one thing has gone wrong. We only have one life to live so why should we become stressed or angry. We might as well enjoy ourselves because why waste our time being stressed out when we can go and get the same thing accomplished. Let’s go out there and enjoy this!”

After that, the whole attitude in the locker room changed and we played our games and enjoyed ourselves the whole time.

This concept can be spread to a more broad level than just a hockey game. No matter whether you are playing a sport, doing school work, or doing your job, when you are stressed out it only makes the situation worse.