Arthur - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: injustice

Always come back with a smile

I have had quite a bit of experience with bullies, and they are very mean. The main part of dealing with bullies is not to let them get to you.

When I was younger, I was almost always being bullied, and I always struck back. Due to this, the bullies bullied me more. The main reason why they did this was to make me angry, and they succeeded many times.

Many times, the bullies attacked me verbally, and I tried not to react. Sometimes I succeeded and sometimes I failed. Sometimes, they attacked me physically, and when they did, one of two things happened. One thing that could happen was me lying on the ground, crying. When the other thing happened, I could not control myself. I was filled with such a rage I could not control my own actions, and what I could remember afterwards made me hate myself.

Later on, I learned not to strike back. I stopped myself from attacking anyone physically. As a result, much of the physical bullying stopped. However, I still had one big problem, and it is a problem that everyone has to deal with: if pushed long or hard enough, anyone will reach their breaking point. This has not happened in a long time, and I hope that I will never reach that point again.

I cannot begin to imagine what other kids go through each day, but hopefully, it isn’t as bad as what I went through.

Nowadays, I rarely react to verbal bullying in any way, other than the knowledge that the bullies will get bored of bullying someone who doesn’t react. Physical bullying usually manages to ruin my mood for a minute or two. Either I forget about it or something happens to make me happy (in which case I usually forget about it anyways).

One way I’ve learned to deal with it is to try to be happy as much as I can, and if I’m not happy, I can still look happy. This doesn’t always work, for obvious reasons, but it helps.

There are two major things I’ve learned about bullying. The first: don’t pass it on. If I passed a bad mood on to someone else, would I be any better than the person who gave me the bad mood in the first place? The second thing I’ve learned: always come back with a smile. They can bully me all they want, but they’re just wasting their time. No matter how many times they knock me down, I will always get back up and resume my life.

Always come back with a smile.

This I believe.