Dawn - McCutchenville, Ohio

I believe that people should stick up and take pride in how they feel and what they do, even if it is something that others around the world disagree with or think is truly ridiculous.

No matter what you participate in throughout your high school career, trying to fit in and feel appreciated is difficult, especially if you do not have the right personality or looks. I was never someone that people called “popular,” or even tried to listen to; this was so for many reasons.

When I was in fifth grade, I was already involved in soccer, but I took on basketball and band. When it came to sports I was never really that good, I was mostly a bench warmer, but I still loved it. I continued in all three throughout the next three years, even though band, after the sixth grade, was not really the coolest thing anymore. People tend to think that just because it is something that they do not like anymore, that it is against the law for others to do it. But I just really loved all of the activities that I was in; I loved how they kept me active and involved in school.

I tried not to care about what others said about me, but everybody gets judged for everything that they do. So, after eighth grade, I stopped playing basketball. I was sick of being

one of the main conversation topics at practice and I was also tired of working so hard at practice, to just sit on the bench most of the time, during games.

After tenth grade, I stopped soccer as well. I just could not take the pressure and the jokes from teammates anymore. The only thing I had left was band. However, I still stayed involved, by becoming the soccer team’s statistician. No matter what, nothing could completely take me away from one of the things that I love.

I am now a senior in high school and completing my last year in band. My career in sports, others convinced me to stop, but they were not going to do the same for band. Band is something that I truly love.

I now regret not following through on my sports, because once I stopped, I missed them. I realize how stupid I was for caring about what others thought of what I did in my life and how I did it. I also realized that it is my life and I should do with it what ever I want to, it is not up to others to make my choices for me.

Life goes like this, if there is something that you want to do, something that you truly love, then do it no matter what people say. I hope to pass on this lesson to my younger sisters and my own child someday, before it is too late for them and they start to make some of the same types of regrets as well.