Tyra - Los Angeles, California

Friendship in my life is very important and I see every person that shares my friendship as someone who betters my life and me as a person. My friends may not define who I am but they still influence me and help me to establish myself as an individual. “Friends are God’s way of taking care of us.” I feel that God places people in our life so that we don’t have to go through it alone. These people are here to mend broken hearts, and wipe away tears. They’re also here to create those unforgettable and most cherished moments that make life worthwhile.

There was a metaphor that I recall in a play called “Madea Goes to Jail”. In the play Madea compares the significance of a person’s purpose in your life to that of a tree, the tree being you. She started out with the leaves of the tree. She said that the leaves on a tree can sway back and forth, comparing this to a person in your life who is unstable and maybe is someone who is often not there when you need them. She says that the leaves then change colors throughout the seasons, meaning that they may not be the same person from when you first met them. Then she says that they shrivel up and fall off. Some people are only meant to be in your life for a short period of time and you’re supposed to take what you need or learned from these people and move on. Madea then starts to talk about the branches on the tree. These types of people are tricky. You think you can depend on them, but like the leaves, they can fall off just as easily. The most important part of the tree is its roots. There might only be a few roots but without them the tree wouldn’t be able to survive. These are the people in your life that you can always depend on. Madea says that people try so hard to cling on to their leaves and branches when in reality, they are only supposed to be there for a season.

I am happy to say that I have friends that I consider to be the root of my tree. I have been through quite a few leaves and there were even a couple of branches that I had mistaken for roots. Some people go through life never realizing who’s supposed to be the leaf, branch, or root on their tree. I truly believe in the value of friendship. To have people in your life that are supportive and willing to share those irreplaceable moments in life is priceless. Friends are a very essential part of life. Some people come and go, and others stay for the long ride. Just keep in mind that “you only meet your once in a lifetime friend… once in a lifetime” (Little Rascals).