Sing - Dalton, Georgia

I believe in the freedom to choose, because I was given the opportunities to choose my path. Many people thought all Asian parent wants their son and daughter to be doctors, but my parents let me do what I want and what I love – Math and Science; therefore, I enroll at a Technical school and major as an engineer.

Many people thought my parent will demand high GPA, my parent did not. They told me, as long as I did my best, they are content. In high school, I graduated with one of the highest honors, and that is not the result of my parent’s pushing. It was for me. I choose to make my parent proud, and tell them, “Thank You for letting me choose.”

Today, I am a second year student in a college. The classes have challenged me to my limit with the rigorous program. Because of my GPA, I lost a merit base scholarship offered by the state government. It has put a major financial stress on my parent, yet, they still said “Follow your dreams, and be who you want to be. We will support you.” They gave me freedom that other children have not. They have given me my dream to be what I want to be. They have let me make my own decisions without restricting me. I want to make them proud when I graduate and say, “Thank You for letting me choose.”