Breanna - Marietta, Georgia

As a child I believed in Santa. As a woman, I believe in Santa.

For the first four years of my life, I grew up in Boston. I experienced magnificent Boston Christmases. The fluffy snow, the jolly spirit, and the cold weather ushered Santa into malls to see anxious boys and girls. Every Christmas, my parents took me to the mall to see Santa, sparking my adoration for Kris Kringle.

The mall was packed with people like sardines in an air-tight can. Crowds gathered around the single path that led to Santa Klaus. Mothers and fathers twisted their faces to provoke their little child to smile at the camera. All for Santa.

The long line of people curved within scarlet, velvety ropes and roaming security guards. I couldn’t see over towering daddies and robust grandpas, but I knew He was there.

I didn’t think or dream about Santa; I believed in Santa. I believed He was there.

Love. Adults don’t believe in Santa because they doubt love. Santa is love. Children are beautiful; they never question love, they never doubt. Purity allows children to believe in Father Christmas because they haven’t seen lies of love. I trust love.

The line barely progressed, and parents became annoyed. Not the children, but the parents.

Adults complained because they didn’t have a reason to wait for Santa; they didn’t believe. Their hearts hardened to Santa’s gifts long ago: gifts of joy, peace, and love. They won’t believe. They can’t believe.

Children waited to meet Santa. They would have waited an eternity because they had faith; they believed.

After waiting for hours in line, my daddy scooped me up and put me on his broad shoulders. While I was sitting up there, the line became shorter, the people mute, and all I saw was Santa.

Every adult, every teenager, every person should be like a little child: pure, trusting…beautiful. A little child, one that believes.

I don’t believe in Santa because of desired gifts or wanted presents. I believe in Santa because He changes people. He changes people in ways that religion demands, politicians crave, and society pressures. But, Santa changes people for the better.

He brings Christmas cheer. He is the essence of Christmas. The essence of love. I believe in love; I believe in Santa.