Brandon - Tiffin, Ohio
Themes: pleasure, sports, work

I believe that practice makes perfect, but only if you have a perfect practice. People always say that if someone practices a job enough, they will become perfect at it. However, if you don’t practice perfect, you are accomplishing nothing. You need to focus and concentrate on what you practice to become perfect at it.

Growing up playing baseball, my team always had a great team. From when I was from the ages of 10-14, we won two state championships, and I always wondered why we are so good. Our team always had a saying during practice, it was “practice makes perfect, perfect practice,” which meant practice will make perfect, but only if you work hard and have a perfect practice. I watched other teams practice that had way more talent then us, but they played around in practice and was not prepared when it was game time. During our team practice, our coach taught us three things: learn the game, execute plays, and to have fun of course. We did all three of these things to perfection, thus our team won two state championships. When I practice anything, whether it is baseball, studying, or working, I always give 110%. Making sure I’m practicing the right thing is a critical factor. If my coaches would have showed me the wrong batting stance, wrong way to throw pitches, and bad base running, I would not have been able to continue playing baseball at the college level.

The only difficulty of my belief is trying to spread the saying of “practice makes perfect, but only if you have a perfect practice.” The reason this is so difficult is that I get laughed at and people tell me I don’t know what I am talking about. Our coaches knew what they are talking about and all I have to do is show my metals and trophies to the non-believers and instantly they become believers. If you’re on the field and not working up a sweat while practicing, you’re not working hard enough. If you are not physically as well as mentally exhausted at the end of practice or a game, it wasn’t perfect. Last but not least if you did not have fun during practice or a game, it wasn’t perfect.

I believe everyone in the world could use this saying. People these days are trained improperly and do incomplete and bad job when it comes to work. If they could work hard and focus on what they are doing, they will be able to perform perfect and have no problems. Another people have to do is enjoy their job and enjoy what they do for a living. My baseball coach did want us playing baseball if we were not having fun. He made the game of baseball fun for us. Although he recently passed away, I will never forget that saying by Coach Bruce Viergutz because by his saying “practice makes perfect, perfect practice” he made me change the way I look at life and how I plan on having success in it.