Richard - Grand Island, Nebraska
Themes: Christianity

Music Hath Charms to Change One’s Soul.

Every Christmas, we hear Handel’s “Messiah.” While other people who hear it in malls and on radio or television, the meaning of this great work resounds in me, personally, for my father sang in the chorus in local performances. Although he could not read music, he had a full piano score with divisions for each type of voice. Thus I also learned the score for I had a budget priced lp set of the work played complete. Without knowing it and not realizing it, this piece also marked my acquaintanceship with one side of religion and with God. At first religion always seemed a forbidding, monolithic wall, one which would never reveal its meaning to me on a personal basis. Later on, in my twenties, it became a way for others to torment me because of my inability to memorize and quote scripture. It took a very long time for me to reach the point where what works for others may not work for me, that I must meet God in a way where he can reach me without feelings of guilt in not feeling the way that works for them but not for me. There is greater joy now within me than ever before, secure in the knowledge that maybe He may not be able to grant all my requests, but that there is an overwhelming for me as a person with all of my flaws. And through Handel’s “Messiah” and the entire story of Jesus Christ’s journey on earth, I have gained a greater inner peace. It may be rocked by my own personal problems with life, but it still provides a wonderful account of what we all yearn for in this troubled world: peace (both inner and outward) and overwhelming self-acceptance. .