Molly - Marietta, Georgia

Animals have a sixth sense about almost everything, especially about people’s feelings. They always know. When I had the flu last year, my cat never left my side. Her loud purr constantly reached my ears, and her silky fur was always on my skin. When I’m excited, my dog is eager to play outside with me, and his face looks like he is smiling at my joy. When I was in elementary school, I was home alone with my dog when two strange people, wearing all black, banged on my front door and started peeking through the windows. My dog sensed my terror and liked my hands. Then, she started barking wildly which made the strangers leave. I’m glad she was there.

My father always told my siblings and me to stop acting like animals, but I disagree; we should. We should pay attention, pick up on emotional signals, and respond. We all have the ability to do this and the potential to help.

Every tear or smile that appears on someone’s face is a trigger for animas to change their attitudes and help. They have the power to turn a bad day around and make a good day even better. I love them and need them every day just to be there.

My best friend is always noticing and trying to figure out my emotions. On numerous nights, she has called me to tell me something exciting, so I pick up with a one word greeting. Her tone gets low, and she urgently asks, “What’s wrong?” Then, she gives me advice and cheers me up. It doesn’t even matter to her what she was calling to say, as long as she ends up helping me. She is selfless and sensitive much like an animal. I try to do the same for her. This creates a much closer bond between us than if we never could tell what the other was feeling.

I take tips from my pets when dealing with other people. This helps others to open up to me because they know that I always care what they’re feeling.