Emily - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: love

I have been in a long distance relationship for close to six months. The difficulties this relationship presents is many. My boyfriend and I talk every night, but sometimes that isn’t enough. I often find myself questioning why I’m in this situation. The only thing that I get support from is the memories my boyfriend and I made over the summer. I am forced to lean on the past.

I guess one can say I believe in memories. When something goes wrong I look to the memories of a good time in my life, memories of yesterday.

Memories helped build who I am today. I learn from mistakes I have made in the past so I can better my choices. I believe in making the best of every situation, so that I have great memories to look back on. When I find myself having an off day, I think back to a good time in my life, like my camp memories or learning how to ski, and they help make

my day better. So, memories influence every decision I have and will ever make.

The only bad thing about memories is most of them fade with time. What I really believe in, are those minor, not life changing memories that I know I’ll remember forever.

My grandfather was diagnosed with parkinson’s disease and alzheimers five years ago. At the time I was ten and did not know the effects of these illnesses, I did not really care. I did not have a chance ot make many meaningful memories with him because he lives in New York.

This summer, I went to visit my grandpa for the first time in two years. He was very sick. He didn’t recognize his own son or wife. When

I walked in the room and grabbed my grandpa’s hand, he smiled and mummbled the word Emily. Even though he forgot who I was the next second, I made an everlasting memory with him.

That is probably the last time I will see my grandpa before he dies, but that is okay. I will always have that memory to fall back on. My perfect yesterday.