Ellisa - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Regrets are like heavy chains weighing down the heart and stifling the inner happiness. Instead, live with no regrets. Life should be lived to the fullest and not spent in self-pity. I realized that after years of regretting something I had done.

I had just quit playing the piano and was rejoicing that I didn’t have to subject myself to the torture of having to practice everyday. Then, a year or two later, my friend began to take piano lessons. A feeling of loss awoke within me.

The full impact of my actions finally hit me. I realized that I had discarded something that had been a part of me for a long time. I felt guilty for acting without thinking carefully, and I regretted my decision. Then the piano began to haunt me.

Whenever I saw the piano, it seemed to mock me; it stood there, gathering dust like a forgotten memory hidden in the mind or a toy lying under the bed. All vestiges of its former, glory were gone. It was alone and neglected, and it sat there in the corner. The song that I used to play often on the piano was Fur Elise. Every time I heard the song, sudden pangs would strike me and remind me what I had done. Later, I realized being remorseful about quitting the piano was useless.

Regretting got me nowhere in life and only stopped me from going forward and enjoying myself. Going back in time to change a mistake is impossible, so we should learn from our mistakes and not do something we’ll regret again. Think about it and come up with a plan that will help you get past your regrets.

Before, I used to “weep into my pillow at night” because of a bad grade. Most of the times I failed a test was due to not studying enough. Crying will not solve the problem or any other problem. Regretting my bad grade will not miraculously transform my bad grade into a good one; instead, I am the one who has to change. I should study well to avoid making the same error.

No regrets – that is the way to live.