Savannah - Marietta, Georgia

ROY G BIV. A familiar acronym that helps many learn the colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. It’s funny to think that every single thing in the entire universe is composed of at least one of those colors. Color. What is color? I believe in color. I believe that color is what defines us all. I believe that a world without color is simply nothing at all.

When we are young, we must learn the colors that we see everyday. The green of a pine tree slowly swaying in the cool breeze. The red of a sweet, juicy apple on a warm summer day. The blue of the sky that is always there. These are what we learned as a child, but as we grow, those simple colors begin to gain a much deeper meaning.

About three years ago, I had to read a book called The Giver. This strange book told a tale about a village that lived in a colorless world. The only person that could see the beautiful reflections of light was the Giver. This book made me think, “What would the world be like without color?” I began to think how color impacts my world. I decided that color gives us the ability to choose. The ability to choose what color clothes we wear, choose what color hair we have, and even choose what color our eyes are. It makes us who we are and gives us that uniqueness that is so sought after.

I also figured out that color also drives people. Maybe to do something crazy like dye their hair hot pink. Or maybe even make a rude comment. The color of someone’s skin can drive people to unkindness. Even though unkindness isn’t a quality that is praised, it still defines that person. No matter how many times that person condemns the other; he can not change the color of his skin. And no matter how many times we dye our hair or try to make our skin tanner, our true colors will always shine through. The true colors that define our true beauty.

Now as I look around me, not only do I see the beautifully simple colors of the rainbow, but I also see the beautifully complex colors that define us all. I also find myself asking again, “What would our world be like without color?” I will never truly know, but I can imagine that it wouldn’t be a world worth living in.