Ryan - Marietta, Georgia

I’ve tried everything football, tennis, hot chocolate on winter mornings, crying to make it feel better. I don’t belong to any one clique jocks or nerds. Most see this as an opportunity. I saw a barrier; it’s a cloud of opportunities obscuring my true identity. Losing my will power, I was steadily losing my ability to chase my hopes and dreams. Deep, I know for a teenager with the world at his feet.

I was born into the world of “you can do anything you put your mind to.” In our privileged neighborhoods, it’s true. I fell to that quotes thoughts of grandeur and took advantage of every opportunity and window. Yet, I could not find it in me to take my leap of faith through those windows. Why? It’s my only question; it’s my only wall.

One day, I picked up an instrument and thought nothing of it; now, it’s embracing my future as my destiny. My parents don’t approve, and they think I have no future in it. I’m not a pioneer; more a rebel bending the boundaries of human association and ability. They think I can do many things better, and earn more money, and secure my future, and not explore an occupation new to my family. No, I chose my music. Why? I love it; I am passionate about it. That is the key.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard during his junior year to pursue an unknown technology, an unknown passion. I look up to him; even though his parents did not really support his idea he became the richest man in the world. My mother was the opposite. She had full support from a loving family, but had no drive. She wanted to be a doctor; now, she’s a nurse.

I believe in the journey–the finding of ones self. The meeting people, losing people, trying things, failing others are all part of the game. It is our game of life that we play. Every space we move in our game, every step we take in life brings me, us, closer to finding ourselves. People, who have already found themselves, with true vigor and passion, are what push and advance mankind to achieve greatness; they are the epitome of what the human race should be.