Alicia - Crown Point, Indiana
Themes: work

I am sure that your parents always told you that you would understand when you were older. I was told this almost everyday and now I do understand why my parents told me work hard at everything I do. I believe that hard work and determination are the keys to success.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I tried out for my school’s softball team. Since most of the girls played on the team their freshman year I figured they would play varsity and I would play on the junior varsity team. Even though I did not think that I would make varsity, I still tried my hardest and gave it my all during tryouts. Apparently the coach noticed what a hard worker I was because when he called me in to tell me if I had made the team, he told me that I was on varsity. My hard work had paid off.

For the next three years, I was the starting varsity catcher. Now I play college softball, and I would not be here if I did not work hard. My determination to play softball in college helped me to get a scholarship. Being paid to play for a college team is just part of my success.

My parents always told me to keep my grades up because that was the only way to get into a good university. In order to get good grades, I had to work hard not only in the classroom, but outside the classroom as well. Doing the homework was never enough. I spent hours a day studying the material I learned in class. I also took advanced placement and honors courses in high school, which helped me to develop good study habits. All of the studying got me where I am today. I am attending Tiffin University not only on an athletic scholarship, but on an academic one as well.

I feel that the only difficulty with my belief is that I may push myself too hard sometimes. This belief is important to me because it is my outlook on life. Whenever things get hard in my life, I think to myself, as long as I am determined and I work hard I will make it through any and all hardships that life brings my way. While in high school, juggling school, sports, and a job got tough, but I pushed through it. When I look at where I am today, I know it was worth it.

Every aspect of life requires hard work and determination. Without these qualities, how would employees get promoted at work?

I believe that hard work and determination are what make people successful. If you don’t work hard , then how does anyone get anything accomplished in life? If one is not determined, how do they get what they want? Without hard work and determination where would successful people come from?