Stephanie - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: children

Scars. They are coarse marks staining my skin. Although with time they fade, these physical reminders never disappear. They have helped mold me into the person I am today, and each one has a story, a reason, a deeper meaning. My scars serve as a constant reminder of the past and an immediate motivation for the future.

When I was little, I used band-aids to cover every type of wound- a scraped knee, a mosquito bite, a small bruise, or any place that “hurt.” It was like band-aids had this magical ability to fix anything- a true illusion of the imagination. I want to be able to put band-aids on all the broken situations in my life.

I wish I could go back to the time when kisses dried my tears, hugs made problems fade away, and band-aids fixed booboos. Now, at 15, every physical bruise carries an emotional attachment. There is a scar on my knee from countless hours of softball practice. Sliding and diving; running and sweating. Each time I look at my scar, I remember all the pain, all the work, and all the perseverance that I endured throughout the season. Band-aids patched my wounds after practice each day, yet when I experienced the death of someone close to me, band-aids could not save me. I realized that every problem I am faced with does not always have a simple, “band-aid” solution. However, I still believe in band-aids because they remind me of a time when all was right in the world, everyone was equal, and I was innocent.

I believe in innocence, especially the innocence of little children- the clear, bright eyes that see happiness and love in everyone, the heart that fears no evil or feels no desperate heartache. As we grow older, maturing into teenagers, then adults, the bitter sweet innocence quickly fades and slips beyond our reach. Our minds know too much. They become polluted with the superficial ideas of this world.

Yet, I have discovered that through the loss of innocence, we gain wisdom. Wisdom that helps us face our fears and begin to see the positive light in everything again. To see the world through a child’s eyes is like seeing it again for the very first time- so big, overflowing with possibility, opportunity, and love. We must choose to live in the optimistic ways of a child.

I have scars on my knees from the adventures of being a kid, and now, when I fall down and scrape my knee, I still find comfort in band-aids. The miraculous way a small bandage can change a life, heal a wound, and create a new beginning allows me to trust in the power of innocence.

Scars sometimes fade, yet they never heal.

But eventually, the pain disappears.