Francesca - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: nature

I am fifteen, stubborn, and resilient to those things I cannot find out for myself; obviously, I believe in things I can see. I believe in something tangible and present daily to me and everyone else. I believe in wildlife, in nature.

I do not believe in the serenity of nature. Instead, the vibrance and the energy draws me in, the ability of wildlife to capture attention and evoke an emotion without a single word being spoken. It is beyond the modern world and beyond human hands. We cannot control nature. Wildlife will always be full of mystique and intrigue that cannot be replicated.

My belief came suddenly and without warning. It came to me in a photograph of a dead whale. A massive dead whale killed by Icelandic whalers, their first kill since the 1980s. I cried. This picture opened my eyes to what I had taken for granted for so long. This picture will not leave my head; it is the basis of my belief.

Wildlife has many aspects and can be portrayed in various lights. One person may see it as calming, another as destructive, and another as victimized. It is the placid pond, the raging rain, the torn-down trees. It can mean so many different things to different people. I believe wildlife is a combination of all of these and many more.

I can give no clear explanation as to which I feel strongest about. It could be the availability. Nature is readily available to me wherever I go. I can walk outside and immediately be filled with faith. Walking through trees and foliage, I have no need for more. It could be the danger. From plants as small as poison ivy to huge hurricanes and storms, nature threatens us everywhere. It could be the power of nature. It makes up the foundation of our homes, the sheets on our bed, the food we eat. It controls our lives. It could be that it acts as a retreat. A place to get away. When lost in life, I can lose myself in my surroundings and forget my worries. It is calming and welcoming,

These things all build up the energy of nature. She has an attitude. She can be peaceful and destructive. She is just as temperamental as we are, from raging mad to serene in a matter of seconds. She is omnipotent in our lives, and we have no way of controlling her. I believe in the energy, the power of nature.