Allison - Marietta, Georgia

As a young adult, I have yet to develop a strong set of beliefs. I have not lived long enough to understand the world I live in. However, one day I will have the experience and understanding to form a knowledgeable belief system. This knowledge will allow me to do much more than just develop beliefs. With knowledge I will be afforded opportunities to act on my beliefs. I will have limitless capabilities. I believe in the power of knowledge.

I developed a deep understanding of the power of knowledge through my mother. She was born into poverty, drug abuse, and death. However, she knew the

power of knowledge. She knew that education was her only way to wake up from this horrific nightmare. Knowledge pushed her all the way through Cornell University and into a successful career. She saw an opportunity in knowledge and lives a better life because of it.

This power of knowledge is no secret. It has been used as a successful weapon for thousands of years. For example, civil rights activists believed in the power of knowledge. They believed in its capability to raise them from the hell they had been condemned to. They had knowledge of equality. They used the power of knowledge to gain power over the ignorant white man. Knowledge won.

Knowledge is the strongest weapon in the war of all wars, that between good and evil. This weapon is used in every aspect of daily life. This war is fought in the conscience of every human being. The good use this weapon beneficially. The bad use it

malevolently. This war can mean the fall of human kind or the dawn of a peaceful life. This is the power of knowledge.

I struggle with this battle of the good and evil every time a friend confides in me. Despite my best efforts, sometimes the evil powers of knowledge win against my conscience. I gossip. I ruin relationships. I become the malevolent person. Other

times I use the good powers of knowledge. I listen. I give advice. I am a friend. My friendships are determined by how I this knowledge.

Knowledge gives us opportunities. It gives us the capability to overcome great obstacles. Knowledge gives us freedom to make our own choices. Knowledge gives us power.