Sharon - Marietta, Georgia

My life starting from the ninth grade was a life of stressed out nights, tired mornings and an endless school week. The things that would soothe and comfort my mind were the works of artists. The sound of pop, rock, gospel, alternative, classical, and jazz would push away the stress and pain.

Music can also help people express their emotions or how passionate they are to something. My friend experienced happy moments with her boyfriend during the summer of 2005. In the end her heart was broken. To cheer her up from this “tragic” event she jumped up and sang at the top of her lungs, “Since You’ve Been Gone,” by Kelly Clarkson. After that she completely forgot she was ever heart broken and she and her boyfriend became good friends.

One time, my family experienced bumps in our relationship. My dad would be at work twenty-four seven, and my mom would get sick often and be in bed most of the time. My sister had other plans with friends, and I would just stay at home and stare out the window with my book on my lap. Our relationship with one another became just breakfast, lunch, and dinner conversations.

Then we were asked to sing a song for our church, and we agreed. We practiced day and night for the big event. The big night finally came. We stood in front of many people and sang the song. I felt as if the more we sang the more we became closer in our hearts. I remember looking at my parents and my sister, and at that moment, I felt that our family was brought together with the sound of music. Ever since then our family grew stronger and happier. I believe that music brought our family closer together.

I believe that music is like a therapist, because in the world, music brings us together and helps one another. My family grew stronger because the music spoke to us. Music helped me through the hard days, and kept my family together. This, I believe.