Connor - Marietta, Georgia

I find that the answers to big questions can’t be found inside me. Instead I turn to others. Talking with others lets me understand good people and in turn, be happy.

I converse all the time with many people, but mostly with a friend of mine on my telephone. Her and I are very different, but get along exceedingly well through conversation.

In my French class, I noticed a pretty blonde girl listening to her Ipod and presumed it was light and frivolous. Upon asking, I was surprised to hear heavy metal escaping her earphones. We found common ground in that music. I browsed through her music, but only one thing really jumped out at me. She and I both had the same favorite band. Unfortunately before we could get to know another, school ended. In July of the following holiday she called me randomly with an offer. She offered me a ticket to the band’s concert. The band was playing in October, and she thought it was only right that I go with her. Until that time, we spoke nightly on the phone to get to know one another. We bonded almost every night, just talking, for hours about anything. We seldom saw each other during that time, but by just talking regularly on the phone we developed a strong friendship.

Waiting for October to arrive, the days never seemed to end fast enough. The concert drew imminent, so she called someone for our tickets. She called me back in tears. We weren’t going to the concert, even though it was the reason we knew each other. Because of the conversations I had, I was just grateful that I knew her.

The words I use and listen to constantly reshape how I understand people.

I think speaking is taken for granted when people have had the ability to talk for a long time. Human beings only have so long to live, and in that time I desperately want to get to know every kind of person that’s alive. Conversation is my magnifying glass scrutinizing the world. It lets me know what other people think of the big questions and small ones alike. Conversation has helped me define and understand parts of life.

Without conversation, I feel forgotten.