Matthew - Marietta, Georgia

Having been a violist for a number of years, I can attest to the belief that music is powerful and essential. At one point I had a wrist injury and was kept from playing for a number of months. Those months were some of the worst in my life. My grades slipped, and my friends could tell something was not right.

During those months, I did some pondering. I attributed the recent events to a lack of music in my life. Since I could not play my viola, I decided to try composing music. I got a composition program for my computer, and was able to get music back in my life.

Within a week, my grades were coming up, and my friends noticed a change for the better in me. I have now had a decent recovery with my wrist, but my views on music will never be the same. What I once viewed as a frivolous activity, I now have high respects for. I have composed a couple hundred pieces; none of which I have let anyone else hear. My music is personal for me; it is the fuel that keeps me going.

I have broadened my horizons; I now listen and compose contemporary and classical style music. I have learned that any music is better than no music, so from Bach to the Beatles, you need to find music for you and keep it in your life.

Some people do not think music is for them; however, I have reason to believe that music is for everyone. When I ran cross country, I noticed about half of the people were running while listening to music. The people with headphones were the faster people on the team. I talked to my coach about this, and he agreed to let me do an experiment. I got the half of the team that did not listen to music while they ran to listen to music for one work out. That workout, the people who listening to music while they ran for the first time, ran considerably faster than they had ever run before. This is proof that if you keep music in your life, everything else will come much easier.

When I say music, I do not necessarily mean what most people think of when they hear the word, music. The taping of a pencil on a table can for a beat, which is music. When people are building houses, the pounding of nails is very rhythmical. When you are in nature and you hear the sweet song of the birds with the rustling of leaves giving the birds a rhythm that is music. Whatever the music is in your life, you need to keep that music close by you.