Haley - Waterford, Ohio
Themes: sports, work

I believe that everything you do is much more valued if you work hard to obtain it. Whether you work hard in sports, a job, school or just life, it is always if you know you worked hard to get the that point where your satisfied.

When I first started snowboarding I was bad, and I didn’t improve until I wanted to work to get better. Back then I would’ve laughed if someone had told me that I would ever hit rails and jumps in a few years.

Once I got fire in me to try to be successful instead of just wasting my time, I was able to get off of the beginners hill. I started riding with my brother, allowing me to improve exponentially when it came to my snowboarding. Not that I am all that good now, but I have definitely improved. I will actually hit a jump or a rail.

I’m not saying that I’m a natural snowboarder by any means. I’m actually far from it. It took me a long time to learn how to move beyond my falling-leaf days, and even longer to get good enough at turning to be able to call it a carve. I fell a lot and became very familiar with the ibuprofen. Moving from carving to doing tricks was a whole new challenge for me. I went from not being able to get onto a ride on box to board-slides and front-sides on rails with a gap.

My first jump left me a scar on my knee from falling onto ice before I even got to the jump. My second jump? That almost gave me a concussion. This time I made it onto the jump before I even realized it was there. I flipped out in the air and ran into a tree. Just a few scrapes and bruises.

I got confidence in my riding on a trip to Michigan. Since I live in Ohio, I had never actually ridden in fresh powder. My brother and I went off to a place nobody had touched. After we got used to the powder, we set up jumps with our hands and our snowboards. I’ve never worked harder to snowboard than that day. I don’t remember if I hit all of the jumps we made, but working that hard just to snowboard gave it more meaning.

Nowadays I have to work a lot harder to snowboard all year. My friends and I haul snow from ice rinks to the rail we want to hit and set up a jump to the rail. We go through a lot in Ohio to ride year-round, and it’s always worth it.

I’ve progressed a lot since I started riding. I’ve worked hard to get where I am and I know that I will work hard to continue improving. All the work I’ve put into snowboarding has made me love it so much more and I would never trade an ounce of my hardwork for anything.