Brian - marietta, Georgia
Themes: science

People say that things, good or bad, happen by chance. What the weather will be like, how people will react to something, what will be on the day’s math quiz. But none of these, nor anything else, happens without a reason. They are connected in an infinitely large web of existence. Everything is incorporated into this titanic network of connections.

I began to realize the existence of this network when I was working on a geometry worksheet and saw a pattern among the answers. I found a pattern, and used it to expedite my work. I then found that exact same theorem in the book, several chapters later. After that, I began to observe more patters outside of mathematics and science, into people’s personalities and ideas.

Recently have I developed a rational for my belief. This rational is based around one simple concept: irrelevant things die out. If something is completely disconnected and totally irrelevant, whether idea, emotion or tangible object, it is destroyed. Ideas that apply to no one are useless and are thrown away. Objects of no use to anyone are thrown away. After this process of deleting irrelevant things, only connected, relevant things remain in the universe.

I have observed several patterns in people’s behavior that are based on a connection between one person and another. One such example can be seen in any school. Groups of people gather together because of connections between them. They share a hobby, emotion, interest or experience that connects them to each other. They use these connections to form bonds and friendships.

In my opinion, the greatest example of patterns in the natural world can be found in a basic tool of science: the periodic table. Every element is connected to at least 6 others by multiple characteristics. No element is unique, and all of them are connected. There are dozens of patterns within the periodic table, and so the table presents a unique view of just how many patterns exist in the world.

Being able to discern these patterns can have great advantages. By figuring patterns in subjects I study in school, I can often correctly answer problems that I would of otherwise been forced to guess at. I can guess how people will respond to a certain action, judging from past experience or current observation. I think one of the greatest advantages is that I can find out why I act like I do. I can find patterns in what elicits negative or positive reactions from me, and if I wish I can then change that reaction.

The network of connections in the universe is infinite, but we can only perceive a few of these connections. Many of the deeper ones still elude the human race. Understanding of these patterns is what the human race should strive for. The deepest, darkest, most important of the connections may forever be beyond the grasp of human understanding, but it cannot hurt to reach.