Derek - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

My brief but eventful life has been plagued with many mistakes and failures. They have made me who I am today. I have had a very troublesome past. My life was comprised of feeling the anxiety of waiting to make my next big error. School was always easy for me, but behind the intelligent image that I put up was a small, afraid boy who suffered from a problem with extreme procrastination.

I have had problems with procrastination ever since I was in second grade. Most of the time, it had to do with me not turning in projects on time. Each time I didn’t do one, I was disciplined, but the castigations didn’t keep my problem away forever. In sixth grade, I again did not complete my project; however, this time my teacher ended up punishing me for the “crime” I had committed. I received two days of In School Suspension. This form of punishment finally got through to me. It shattered my own perception of self-confidence. I realized had I faults, and I needed to correct them. I was not the perfect person; no one was.

Making that huge mistake helped me realize that everyone makes mistakes. At some point in everyone’s life, we will all make a bad decision. The important thing is that we work through our mistakes and let them teach us what we can improve on. Although no one can be perfect, we should still try to do the best that we can. My mistakes have also taught me to work harder and to start on assignments earlier. They have helped me to excel not only in school but also in other areas in my life. I have learned to make and follow a schedule and not to continuously postpone things until the last minute. This error was a major turning point in my life and has shown me the bad habits I have to correct.

Mistakes, they are something that everyone makes. Whether it is a large life changing event or a seemingly miniscule action, all mistakes are important. They teach us our faults and inevitably help us succeed in life. Sometimes, we need extra help to correct them, sometimes we don’t. Like James Joyce once said: “Mistakes are the portals of discovery.” I, too, believe that mistakes are to be treasured and learned from.