Eran - Marietta, Georgia

Imagine something sublime. Something everyone enjoys – something that defies logic, but is very real. For the moment a person is engaged, it draws happiness and concentration. Not a care in the world – not for the moment. Magic.

A magician must connect with an audience, be it many or few, blind or paralyzed. All barriers are transcended through magic – skin color, language, culture, race – touching a common human chord in all of us. I have entertained across city squares on a visit to Italy, not knowing a word of the language, and still, those Italians found a few minutes of their busy schedules to enjoy magic. The mutual interest, laughter, and pleasure are genuine.

I need not levitate or disappear to appeal to my audience. As long as my personality appeals to the spectators and distracts them, making the magic the focus of their concentration, I have been successful. To be successful may mean degrading myself in front of an audience in an effort to make a child laugh, or success may be relieving stress from an aged man on his mundane schedule of work. Successful magic is all relative, but it all holds true to bring joy and laughter, simple necessities of life.

I once walked in a hospital staring at my watch, counting the seconds until I could leave. I was focused solely on my agenda, accepting magic as a chore rather than a privilege. Never have I been more humbled. A few nurses had asked me to come and perform my magic act to some lonely patients. The patients were so appreciative and entertained by the nature of magic more than the actual trick being presented. The feeling is the most rewarding watching a few orphans smile and forget their miserable situation. This was not an enigma, this was simple magic. How had I been so blind?

Interest is brought about by the atmosphere magicians carry, as they are performers themselves, lightening any mood and providing pleasant entertainment. Magic carries a certain aura around it, something both intangible and irreplaceable. Watching a talented magician perform and express magic to all whom lend attention is an art in its own esteem. My life has been changed drastically from the effect of magic, and I live it, both mentally and physically, always carrying a deck of cards in my pocket.

The beauty of magic rests in its power. The power to entertain. The power to heal. The power of magic.