Laura - Marietta, Georgia

I believe that acceptance can set the mind free. Facing loss is always hard, but time goes on and wounds heal. If people accepted their problems, they would be able to move on and be happier. People that hold on to their grief tend to lose sight of opportunities they would otherwise seize.

In May of 2005, my belief was about to be tested. My best friend, Kaitlin found out that she was going to be forced to move to Canada. About a year before, Kaitlin’s father died and some complications with her mother’s citizenship papers led to their deportation. For the next four months, we spent a lot of time dreading the future apart from each other. As summer began, I prayed that her house would never sell and we would have more time together. However, August came up faster than ever.

Kaitlin left silently for Canada at the beginning of the month. She never said goodbye to me. Days went by, and then weeks went by. A new school year had begun with no word from my best friend. After feeling so abandoned and lost, I knew I had to face the rest of my life without her.

At school, I began to look around my lunch period for familiar faces. I soon joined a group of kids that I knew from middle school. Among them was a girl I had never talked to before. Within several days, we had become acquaintances and began to meet outside of school. We were best friends within a short period of time.

As my new friend and I grew closer, I started to look back on Kaitlin’s and my relationship. I remembered our contentment and our fun years together. By embracing the fond memories of her, I was able to gain closure on our friendship and I allowed myself to transition into a new one.

By accepting the loss of one friend, I opened myself up to another friend. This new friendship has filled the void I had for so long after Kaitlin left, and it has made me a much happier person. I often ask myself, “If I held on to Kaitlin, would I ever have been happy?” The answer in my mind is always no. People experiencing loss should also ask themselves the same question and realize that happiness only follows acceptance.