Michael - East Flat Rock, North Carolina

I Believe Horses Can Fly

I believe that horses can fly. Being able to keep my childhood imagination has given me more happiness as an adult than anything money can buy. My imagination keeps me laughing, dreaming, and wishing. However, the most important thing imagination does for me is let me escape from the pressures of an adult world.

As a child the most important things in my life were my horses, particularly my horse Diablo. On any given day I was able to saddle up my best friend and ride my worries away. We didn’t often stray too far from home because we knew our boundaries and stuck to them. Yet, sometimes we found ourselves lost in the day and far on a trail. Knowing that Mom would be furious if we could not hear her calls, we would rush to the safety of our boudaries. I would give a gentle pat to Diablo’s neck and say, “Come on boy. You can let your wings out, no one can see you here.” Off we would go, flying over the trees until we could see the fields to our farm. We would land before we were in a place anyone could see us. This way our secret would stay safe. When Diablo would run that fast it felt like he could fly. I remember the taste of dust and smell of the newly mowed wild onions that would hit my senses as we were flying. That taste and smell still gives me a sense of comfort to this day.

After a day of long adventures together, I would have to walk my faithful companion back to the barn and stall him until we could play together again. As I was walking away, I would always turn back and knod at him as to say, your secret is safe with me. On certain days, like the ones where we would spend a large amount of time together, it was particularly hard to leave his side. I would go up to my room and watch the barn, wondering what he and his other horse friends were talking about. My concentration on the barn would soon turn to sleep. As I slept, I would dream of all the horses flying. I would, once again, be on my friend wearing my white cowboy hat, as the bad guys in black would chase us. Just as the bad guys were about to catch us, my buddy would open his wings and fly us to safety.

I am awakened as an adult to learn the world is sometimes cruel. Diablo is gone now, and I have a new horse friend. We escape together sometimes like Diablo and I did in the past. It is harder to see his wings; however, I know they are there. I still have dreams of flying on my horse, and the best thing, when I wake up, I know horses can fly.