Mason - Leander, Texas
Themes: sports

Life Lessons from a Game

I believe Football is a great game to play. Playing football teaches you many skills including teamwork, leadership and character. When I first started playing football, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. The grass was still wet with dew when the coach yelled, “Get to you stations!” As I was running to the drill station I had been assigned to, I was wondering if I had bit off more than I could chew. But, looking back on the memory of playing football, I realize all that it has taught me.

I believe one of the most important things football can teach you is teamwork. If your team does not play with great teamwork, you will not be winning many games. Football teaches you that you must know your assignments well, or you are going to let your team down and embarrass yourself.

Next, I believe leadership is another skill football helps you develop. Without leadership a football team will be left in shambles. The coaches are not going to be there 100% of the time, and in order to make sure everyone is working out or playing like they are supposed to, you must step up and lead people by example. The football team I played in elected team leaders every year at the beginning of the season, and it was a great honor to get elected. When you were elected, you knew that all of your teammates respected and trusted you. Football taught me that being a leader is much more than just telling people what to do and when to do it. Being a leader is about doing it with them and making sure you are doing it right as an example for other people to look up to.

Finally, football helps players develop their character and discipline. One of the quotes my coach used to say was, “Your character is defined by what you do when nobody is watching.” This quotes has stuck with me and I keep it in the back of my mind all of the time. Having character was a true test when we were for working out. You could cheat and not do what you were supposed to, but you would be letting your teammates down. Football promotes doing the right thing even if there is no reward.

After playing for many years, I truly believe football is much more than just a game. I used to think it was just people on a field throwing a ball to each other, but I now know that you get real life lessons from playing. I still use the skills I got from football to this day. I believe that if I had never played football I would still be a good person, but I feel that playing helped me develop my traits even further and helped me become a better person.