Vanessa - lynchburg, Virginia

This I believe: In Friendship

My friends and I do this crazy thing where we just know what the other person is thinking without a word being spoken. This mind reading happens a lot. It is how we communicate without letting anyone else in on our conversation. It might be a funny look or even just a glance but there are some nights when no look is even needed. I’m not really sure which it was; whether they found me or I found them, maybe we just found each other; but we met the first week of being at college. Ever since that week we have been the conjoined triplets. And we are a bit freakish and most definitely awkward but without them I think I would have been on the next bus back home. They have shown me what true friendship is. People say all the time friendship is full of give and take, and it absolutely is, but with them I want to give more than I take.

We have become so intertwined, hence this small form of telepathy. The feeling I get when I am around them is like being drunk but not having drunk any alcohol. We literally find ourselves laughing until we are holding our sides, having to pee, with tears streaming down our faces. I am proof that sometimes laughter is just the best medicine. I don’t know how many times a crappy day has been completely turned around because of a funny story one of them tells, or because of a funny look they give me. And they go with me everywhere; whether it’s the one-person bathroom in Starbucks, or to church or just for a walk because I desperately need to talk. They do things only good friends could ever do. I can ask them to tie my unlaced shoe because they know I’d do it for them in a heartbeat. Another great thing about this never-ending friendship I can tell them anything and know they truly care about what I am saying and even when I act like a complete fool they are there with me. I don’t know how many times I have embarrassed myself and they have been right there picking me up.

We have inside jokes that could keep us going for days and the honesty we give each other is refreshing. We take it from each other because we know it is only given with the best intentions. I believe in friendship because of the girls I met here at college. Friends are the family we choose and I think I’ve found the best family there could ever be. We click, we go, and every minute I spend with my friends I thank God that I have them.