Christina - Arlington, Texas
Themes: integrity

I believe in being honest in your relationships. Honesty is a virtue that is the cornerstone to establishing a good relationship. Not just romantic relationships, but all relationships in your everyday life. Be honest with your parents, friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, and most importantly be honest with yourself. Being honest can be difficult at times. No one wants to hurt someone’s feelings. No one wants to be the friend who has to honestly answer, “Do I look fat in this?” If your mother is asking if you like her sweater, just go ahead and say yes. Who cares? It’s your mom’s sweater. However, if your boyfriend or girlfriend asks you if you love them, please be honest, to save both of you a lot of trouble later. It’s easy to lie once. But if you lie once, you have to maintain that lie and lie over and over again, until it’s a huge web of lies. Wouldn’t you rather be caught in a web of lies about your mom’s sweater than whether or not you love your significant other? Exactly.

Be honest with yourself. Be honest with what you want, what you need, and what you will or will not put up with. Be honest about how you feel about a certain person or subject. Ignore people who are negative about things you love. If you like Nintendo, acknowledge it! Enjoy yourself. Who cares if your friends think Nintendo is lame? Your love of Nintendo is not hurting them at all. They do not have to play with you. All too often I have seen my friends (and myself) give up something they truly love because it was “uncool”. A person who really cares about you may dislike Nintendo, and may make jokes about you and Nintendo’s true love/future marriage, but they will still want to be your friend. If you are in a relationship where your needs are not being met, be real with yourself. Don’t drag something on that will eventually cause more misery for all parties involved and lead to you hating each other. It’s a tough decision to make, and most people have had to make a decision like this before. Do what’s best for you. If you feel like you are being treated unfairly in a group, stand up for yourself. Who will respect you if you do not respect yourself? No one!

Honesty is defined as the human quality of communicating and acting truthful and with fairness, as best one is able. I believe that when you use honesty in everyday life, whether or not it hurts or offends; it makes life a little more “real”. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, be honest and stay honest!