Zach - Lynnwood, Washington

Why do people lie? Is it to make themselves look better when in fact if it is revealed they did lie, they look worse? Or is it to get what they want? I believe lying should be a crime. Why should people have the right to lie about things and get away with it?

Ever since kindergarten, teachers have been telling us to forgive one another if we lie to each other. I’m not talking about these “white lies” here and there, although those can become just as bad when accumulated; I’m talking about the lies politicians and criminals get themselves into. Not to mention any names, but the last two presidents have both lied to the public despite being under oath and when it came to going to war. Is this the message we want to send to our kindergartners?

Seeing that adults have had a few years since kindergarten to mature and learn what is right from wrong, I believe the consequences should be harsher. Grown adults shouldn’t be able to get away with saying, “Sorry, my bad.” They are the role models of this nation, they should suffer the consequences of their choices and be an example to others that lying is not tolerable. Would students learn anything if they had teachers who lied to them? No. Then why do some people think they are above others and can lie to their fellow citizens and cause problems?

Just think of how society would be if no one lied about how much they made, where they were last Monday night, or if they had been drinking. Not only would people get what they deserve because of their actions, but also people would learn to trust one another. People would never have to doubt if someone was pulling their leg every time they answered a question. Some may say the world would become too harsh. I believe the world would be honest and open, and when it comes down to the facts, I would rather have the truth rather than a sugar coated lie. Sure it may taste better, but you never got anything nutritious from candy.

Looking back upon history, no one has ever benefited from lying. I don’t know what makes people think they will by doing so. If teachers teach us history in order to keep ourselves from repeating it, then why don’t we learn from our mistakes? Can personal gain really be that important? As parents everywhere tell their children, “lying will never get you anywhere.” So my question is, why do it?