John - Papillion, Nebraska

I Believe

I believe that everyday I walk through those doors of that great big building that has been my home for almost 4 years now; I believe that I am walking into the future. I believe that every person I walk by day after day is the future of this great nation. I believe that the bandleader that I sit next to in Algebra is the next man to walk on the moon. I believe that the young girl who I shares a brief but fulfilling eye contact with me everyday is the next American top model. I believe that the young man who I sit with at lunch is the future president of the United States of America.

I believe that the future is walking at my side every day. The fate of our great nation is sitting with me during the fall pep-rally. Day by day people go on and on about how our nations youth is deteriorating. They say that this generation is lazy and is somewhat useless. They base this judgment off of our style, our activities, and our company. Well I believe that they are wrong.

I believe that the young boy rolling down the street on his skateboard will one day be that man who discovers a cure for cancer, I believe that the young girl who spends all her money at the mall will one day be a successful business owner, and I believe that the quiet young boy who sits alone at lunch will one day be this nations leader.

The first day I stepped into this place, I thought the same thing that many of my elders think. My generation is going for a fall. Many kids are lazy, and dumb, and unmotivated. But, after two years of being here, I have come to this conclusion.

There are no lazy, dumb, or unmotivated kids at my school. We are all the future and we are all going to leave our mark on society. The journey might begin sooner for some then it does for others. But, do not give up on those whom have not found their path yet.

I believe that every day at my high school, I walk down the hallways next to the generations finest. Yes, I am talking about everyone ranging from the Chess team to the Homecoming Queen. This is our future and I believe that each one of us has something to contribute.