Hylceth - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: change

Change is a big part of life. Often you will find yourself making decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Other times you will find other people making these decisions for you. In my case, there were two big decisions that shaped my life.

When you are younger facing changes is easier. I was twelve when I found out that my dad got a promotion at work, but the job involved moving to a different country. I was excited and didn’t understand why everyone was crying; to me it meant a new house and a room for myself. We ended up moving to Puerto Rico, which is a wonderful place filled with friendly people. It was very easy to accept the changes and adapt to their culture. Years flew by and when I was sixteen my father got another job offer, this time in New Jersey. He left the decision of moving to me and my sisters, he knew moving again would be a lot harder since we were older and became attached to the country and its people.

Leaving Puerto Rico was tough; it meant leaving my friends behind and starting over in a new place. In New Jersey I was no longer in my comfort zone and making new friends was harder because of the language barrier. Slowly, I learned to let go and accept my new life, realizing that the only choice I had was to embrace the changes and make the best out of the situation. Being in New Jersey made it easier to get into Penn State, and living in the United States offered me many opportunities that I wouldn’t be able to have if I had stayed in Puerto Rico or in my native country.

Life is about changes and being able to adapt to them. They don’t have to be as drastic as moving to different countries, but to be able to accept them and move on is an important quality to have. I look back and I’m glad I went through all those changes. I had the opportunity live and experience three different countries and their cultures. So when you have a hard time letting go of something just remember, better things will always come your way.