Adam - Allendale, Michigan

Someone To Lean On

Bill Withers sang it quite well, “We all need somebody to lean on.”

From the time that we are born, to the time of our deaths we depend on people to help and support us. As a baby we depend on our mothers to nurse and care for us. As we learn to walk we need that sturdy hand to help us along. As we learn to ride our bicycles we need someone there to keep us up as we learn to balance. As adults we all have those times where we need a shoulder to cry on, and as we get older, there are things that our bodies just won’t do anymore, so we need others to be there for us.

As we age our reasons for leaning change. I’ve noticed it in myself, as a child I needed someone to meet my needs, and my childish ways were a very carefree time. As a young adult I was able to provide some of my basic needs myself, but in exchange I found myself maturing emotionally and needing someone to talk my problems over with. As an adult I am fully capable of taking care of myself, and at the same time there are things that develop that I can’t handle myself.

Many people have recognized that they have problems that they simply cannot take care of by themselves. All of the support groups for recovering addicts are a simple example. There is no scientific explanation to why people who quit an addictive behavior and attend a support group have a much higher chance of recovery than people who do it alone. The only difference is the group support. The people who are around you who care about what happens to you. They are there to praise you in your successes, and encourage you to try again in your failures.

Another aspect of many support groups is God. He is always there watching us. He provides us with that steady hand as we are trying to walk down the road of life. When we fall he is there to pick us up. He will always be there when we need someone to talk to, and he will always be there when we need help. One of my favorite stories is called “Footprints in the Sand,” is goes something like this.

I was walking with God, I looked back and notices only one set of footprints at all the troubled times in my life. I asks God why His footprints were gone at those troubled times. He responds to me saying that the real reason there was only one set of footprints was because those were the times He was carrying me.

We need someone to lean on, someone to carry us at times. Who is more able that God. He will always be there for us, always have time for us, and always be willing to help.