Kevin - Brentwood, California

In a world with crime and terrorism on the rise, divorce rates at nearly 50%, and school shootings it is important to stick to your core beliefs to try and find some light in this ever-increasing dark world. Basil Hume said, “Moral choices do not depend on personal preference and private decision but on right reason and, I would add, divine order.” Divine Order is what I base my morals off of and the guidance that my Mom has given me growing up. I grew up believing that using my Christian faith is one that is meant to help other people along with helping yourself. Growing up I learned that with Christian faith I can help people, and furthermore help others to live a better life.

Since I can remember my family and I always went to church where we learned to grow closer with God and live our life accordingly to the bible. With these basic principles I feel it is important to help others over self. I feel that this is definitely a way of life that is no longer felt by many people as is evident when people get mad when they have to wait in line at a grocery store, or when someone sits at a red light too long. Another important aspect of my beliefs is giving 10% of my money to charity in an act called a tithe. My parents sold some land and gave away 10% to those of less fortune- so you can imagine how much help some impoverished people received.

To really help this world out in my opinion we need to stop being so selfish and come together and worry about others instead of themselves. I think this is one of the best beliefs in Christianity along with forgiveness. It is time to stop holding grudges- how many people have been killed or severely injured because of retaliation, just think of all gangs. When we can put aside our petty problems and realize the big picture we can achieve so much more than putting a man on the moon or flying around the world in a few hours. I am not saying everyone needs to convert to Christianity but using some of its ideologies would bring a lot of relief to our world.