Cameron - Gahanna, Ohio

I believe that work is a privilege. I believe that work is a privilege because we are granted the opportunity to work for someone unless we are self-employed. Your employer gives you an opportunity to work and it is up to us to make the most of it. With privilege comes responsibility and that is why I like the idea of work as a privilege. I like the idea of work as a privilege because I like to be held accountable for my work and I also like to receive all of the praise when I perform well. It is a good feeling to know that you did a good job and that you made someone else happy and also yourself.

I do have a job at Kroger which is part of a large chain of grocery stores; however I look towards track as more of a job for me right now. I began track in the seventh grade for my middle school team. My dad had thrown the shot put and discus in high school and I really look up to my dad so I wanted to do the same thing that he did. He taught me quite a bit about the sport and I really liked it. I continued track throughout middle school and on into high school. Until I began competing against some of the best in the state in high school I never realized how competitive it was. I just sat back and wondered how some of these guys could throw this far. Size was not really a factor, there is a common perception that throwers have to be huge and it’s not true. I’m only five foot eleven and two hundred pounds and I could hang with the some of the best. But it seemed like some guys just had that grace in the ring and brought so much energy to the sport. I never really understood the world of throwing until I reached college. I am only a freshman now but I see some of the best throwers in the world at all of my meets. I had always been some what of a natural at the sport and did not put in extra time to be even better. I have seen what it takes to be the best now. It is amazing what people to do become the best in the world. All of the hours in the gym training and the sacrifices that are made really pays off. There is a whole different society that the rest of the world does not know about. We are all passionate about what we do and take great pride in it. We throw against Ashland University at most of our meets and I am just now finding out that they are the number one throwing school in the world to go to. They have a coach by the name of Jud Logan who was a four-time Olympian and they train like crazy! They do not even get to go home over the holidays because they are constantly training and that is why they are the best in the world. I never would have known these things if I did not become part of this new society of throwers. The outside world has no idea what it takes to be the best and what it is all about.

Since coming to college I have realized what a privilege it is to be a thrower. I get paid to do what I love to do and I work very hard at it. I have no one else to blame when I don’t perform well, it is all on me. I am responsible for getting in the weight room and going to practice. I have realized that I am never going to get better without hard work and dedication and that is my responsibility. Many other people would do anything to be in my shoes and I need to think about that everyday. Others may not have the privilege to throw for a university and get paid to do it. Others may not even be able to walk but would love to do it. So I live everyday knowing that I have been given a privilege and a gift to throw and with that comes responsibility to take care of things. It is just like having a driver’s license, you are given that privilege and it can be taken away if you abuse it. I am going to take full advantage of the opportunities that have been presented to me and realized that I am privileged, and proud of it.